Saturday 26 September 2009

Bangkok - 5th August 2009

I'd had spare time in the morning in Phnom Penh, and so spent it playing solitaire in the hotels internet cafe, which had labourously slow internet, so I'd given up using it after ten minutes of waiting for a page to load. I was quite happy listening to my iPod, and when it was working, ClassicFM.
Eventually it was time for me to head to the airport, so I boarded my tuk-tuk, feeling rather regal, and enjoyed the bumpy ride to the airport. The driver was kind enough to remind me to have my hands on my bags, incase anyone leaned in and tried to grab my things. I doubted anyone would actually be able to lift either of my bags, as I myself struggled to lift them!
I wasn't surprised, as when I got the the airport and my bags were weighed I had my broken NorthFace bag on my bag, weighing a tonne, and my enormous, bright red rucksack weighing in at 19kg; meaning I had to pay $24 for the excess which I was a bit annoyed about.
I managed to get checked in with the rest of the SKIP group. It was so great to see Naomi and the others; they'd had a really great time, and we all enjoyed exchanging stories over a coffee whilst waiting for the flight. It was a long wait for us to actually board the plane and I felt a bit dehydrated and was dying for some free water on the flight, but I was disappointed to find that we'd have to pay for it! So I decided I'd wait! (Maybe not the best idea, but nothing bad became of it, thankfully!)
The flight went well; there was plenty of space on the flight allowing me to spread out and have quite a comfortable ride, apart from the dehydration!
We got into Bangkok and it was already dark. We got the bus, a first for us, which was quite a squeeze. I was quite excited at arriving back 'home' again. It felt nice to be somewhere where I'd been before, which was a bit of a novelty. We were however staying in a completely different area to our previous stay. This time we were at the Viengtai Hotel, a rather posh affair with swimming pool and men to open doors for the ladies; I like it! The streets surrounding it were filled with bright lights, and probably what can be described as Bangkok's version of Times Square, New York!
The hotel was so clean, the mirrors were so beautiful and it looked so elegant! We got checked in, Lily and I in one room, and Naomi and Robbie in another. We met up with 7 other SKIP members to say hello before heading down the street.
The street was amazing! I felt so good after the excitement of seeing people and just all the liveliness of the street. Everything was so alive! I think a small can of RedBull went to my head as I was so bouncy that I couldn't sleep that night.
I checked my emails briefly that evening, and to my delight I'd been given shifts at work for the first week I was back, and quite a few of them, which was great news!
I did a bit of shopping for presents; a dress for myself, a tuk-tuk made out of beer cans for Dad, and a few random things!

No comments: