Tuesday 29 September 2009

Bangkok - 8th? August 2009

I got up at 6.45am so that I could enjoy the wonderful buffet breakfast again, even though we had no plans to be rushing around today. We had a peaceful time by the pool which I really enjoyed. There was some building work going on not too far away so I could splash about and not worry about disturbing those who were sunbathing. It was too hot for me to just sunbathe, even with the distraction of a book.
We decided that today would be a good day to head up to the old city of Ayyutya, where I'd been before with Lucy and Robbie.
We had an hour to wait and so we entertained ourselves with browsing through some magazines and having a coffee which was delicious. We left enough time to get the train, and thankfully managed to get seats! The train was as slow as before, and it was really hot despite having fans overhead. As always, the day was a photo shoot for Lily, she's obsessed with taking photos! I quite enjoyed having the opportunity to just relax, safe in the knowledge that if there was something to take a photo of, Lily would get it!
We visited the temple with the well-kept Buddhas with yellow sashes on, with the mini-reclining Buddha too. We didn't go right over to see the many roosters as we were quite short for time and we wanted to get in the three sites that had been suggested to us by our tuk-tuk driver. I was able to summarise anything bits that we didn't quite have enough time to see.
Next up was the old temples and city walls in the dilapidated state, with the buddha's head hideen behind tree roots.
Finally we went to the white temple which had a giant Buddha inside. It was quiet today and there were no children or adults trying to flog us things. There was a market around though, but we didn't have time to have a look at it.
I quite enjoyed the chat we had on the way back to Bangkok on the train. When we returned we went to KFC and Subway; I had a salad sandwich which was delicious! (I seem to be having rather a lot of these!)
That evening we met up with the guys, who had somehow arranged with a tuk-tuk driver to take us to the infamous Ping-Pong show for only 10 Baht each! We were then charged 350 Baht to watch the show, which some of us weren't that keen on paying, but I thought £7 was fair enough! We all went in, and got our free drink - I ordered a beer and then passed it along to someone else. The show was amazing!
It finished around 1.30am, and we got a tuk-tuk back to our street. There were nine of us and so we fitted five into a taxi, and four into a tuk-tuk. I lay on the floor and three somehow squeezed into the seats! The guy was listening to music as he drove, possibly dangerous, and he was speeding a long like a bit of a maniac. I decided there was no point in worrying myself over the safety of the trip and decided just to enjoy the ride! It was so much fun! What a fun way to end an interesting and fun night!
Lily had a pancake, whilst Naomi and I had vegetable spring rolls, with an extremely spicy chilli sauce on! My mouth was nearly on fire! I ended up finishing up Lily's water it was that spicy!

No comments: